The juice industry has completely transformed in recent years. While the range of traditional carton juices has exploded, a new movement of juice bars, cleanse kits, and raw products has expanded the industry significantly. So, will this growth continue and where’s it headed next?
In this article – we share the latest juice industry statistics, trends, and market analysis.
- Key Industry Stats
- Trends in Juicing
- Analysis & Predictions
- Nutrition Industry Report
Juice Industry Statistics
Here’s an overview of the juice market and key stats on how it’s performing…
- The juice market is worth $116bn in 2023 (up from $103.5bn in 2022) and expected to grow at 3.65% per year [Source].
- If you include vegetable juice along with fruit, the market is predicted to be worth a massive $229bn by 2030 [Source].
- The US is the largest market globally, followed by Europe [Source].
- Growth is being driven by consumer preferences for healthier lifestyles and increased spending power [Source].
- Coca-Cola, Pepsico, China Huiyuan Juice Group, WILD Flavors, and Nestle are the leading players in manufacturing and distribution [Source].
2023 Nutrition Industry Market Report
You might also like… Top Supplement Manufacturers Who Can Help You Create Nutritional Products.
Juice Industry Trends
There’s no question that juice is a growth sector. This Google Trends graph shows how interest in juice has increased consistently over the last 20 years…
Whether this growth trajectory will remain is unclear. Public health concerns about the free sugars in juices and other sweet drinks may limit the rate of growth. Low-sugar beverages are trending in nutrition and forecasters have already halved the industry’s predicted growth rate compared to last year.
But in our opinion, it’s unlikely to stifle the expansion completely because 1) it tastes too good and 2) brands are diversifying product ranges to offer low-sugar options…
Markets are constantly evolving and nutrition is no exception. Here’s an overview of the key trends in this industry…
- Healthy drinks – Fizzy drinks and soda’s popularity is slowing as health concerns increase, people looking for healthier alternatives that still taste delicious [Source].
- Vegetable juice – is predicted to be the fastest growing segment within juices [Source].
- Cleanses – will continue to see growth, but at a slower rate than previously seen as consumers become increasingly skeptical about nutritional claims [Wellness Creative Co.].
- Online sales – will be the fastest growing distribution channel, opening the playing field for small businesses and innovative start-ups [Source].
- Juice bars – like Nekter and Clean Juice remain a popular business model (along with smoothie bars) and high-performing franchises [Source].
- Evening juices – companies like Innocent and Tropicana are hoping to tap into the sober-curious gen Z by offering ‘interesting’ flavour combinations to replace cocktails [Source].
- Juice-based energy drinks – that combine one of your five-a-day with energy boosting ingredients like green coffee extract and guarana [Source].
You might also like… Latest Health & Wellness Market Trends or our Nutrition & Fitness Insights Hub.
Analysis & Predictions
The juice market is predicted to grow at a rate of over 3%, which makes it a solid option within the nutrition industry (but not the fastest growing – that’s edible insects).
Unlike niche products like protein powder and supplements, juice has a mass market appeal to all age-groups and interest segments. This makes it a particularly lucrative sector overall, even if the growth isn’t on par with trending areas.
However, there are some headwinds on the horizon…
The first is government action against sugar-sweetened drinks, such as additional tax levies. Although aimed at fizzy beverages, juices and smoothies have also been pulled into the controversy. Consumers are receiving contradictory messaging from nutritional professionals, public health officials, and brands, which may cause confusion as to whether juices are truly healthy.
The second is a looming global recession, which may affect disposable income. As people tighten their belts, off the cuff purchases (like a fresh juice with lunch) is typically where they cut back. This could particularly impact juice segments that are considered ‘extravagant’, like cleanses or energy drinks.
Nutrition Industry Report
This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date nutrition industry research report available. Unlike others, you get extended access to the 2023 edition, including any updates that are made as new market data becomes available. Ideal for business planning, the report includes…
- Nutrition industry growth, revenue & future predictions
- Impact of recent global events & estimated recovery timelines
- Growth markets, segments & audiences including Millennials
- Latest industry trends & how to capitalise on them
- Financial information for the largest nutrition manufacturers globally
- Biggest & fastest-growing nutrition brands
- Evidence-based predictions for the future of the industry
- 14-day money-back guarantee, no questions or hassle
2023 Nutrition Industry Market Report